About a year ago, when I became a very “active” Twitter user, I wanted to install one of the Twitter applications. I looked around and UberTwitter seemed to be preferred over TwitterBerry.
I installed UberTwitter and used it exclusively for several months. There was one main issue I had with it at the time and that was that if I was in the middle of doing something (sending a tweet and/or marking something as a favorite) and I put my Blackberry in my case, it would often cause UberTwitter to freeze up and then the only solution was to do a battery pop and reset my entire Blackberry. The other issue that I had was that marking something as a favorite was a multi-step process. I favorite a lot of stuff because I use it as a way to get through tweets quickly. I skim through tweets and favorite things I want to get back to in the future.
When Seesmic for Blackberry came out, I decided to give it a try and I’ve been pretty happy with it. However, it’s been crashing a lot and crashed twice in one day. I heard that UberTwitter had a new version out and decided to give UberTwitter another try. Here are some of my thoughts on both applications and the differences between the two.
- Amount of Tweets in the Cache:
- UberTwitter: UberTwitter allows you to have up to 2000 Tweets saved in the Cache. You also have control over how many you have saved (500, 1000, 2000).
- Seesmic for Blackberry: Seesmic for Blackerry gives you no control over how many tweets you have saved, and seems to only hold a couple of hundred in the cache. Especially in the morning, this is problematic for me because I like to use my blackberry in the morning to catch up with what happened on the east coast, and I’m not able to do that with Seesmic for Blackberry.
- UberTwitter: You have three options with UberTwitter RTing: you can set as a default to use the “new” style RT (without being able to edit); you can set the default to always use the “original” style of RT; or you can have UberTwitter to ask you every time whether or not you want to use the new style or the original style. I have it currently set to ask me every time, which I like.
- Seesmic for Blackberry: Seesmic for Blackerry allows you to select whether you want to Retweet (new style) or Quote (original style). Both are options from the menu.
- UberTwitter: Marking something as a favorite on the UberTwitter is a three-step process, which is annoying. First, you have to select “Make Favorite” from the menu. Second, you have to confirm that you actually want to make something a favorite and then finally you have to click the Okay button once UberTwitter has actually made something a favorite. It would be ideal if there was a shortcut key to mark something as a favorite and if it was only a one or two step process.
- Seesmic for Blackberry: Marking something as a favorite on the Blackberry is a one-step process. You select it from the menu and wait for it to happen.
- Time stamps:
- UberTwitter: When reading tweets on the main screen, UberTwitter stamps the time as “50 minutes ago” all the way up to 5 hours. Then it gets a little more generic. If you click on any tweet, you get the date and time stamp right there. Since I use both Twitter and a desktop app (currently, Tweetdeck) this is a really important feature because it allows me to easily “find my place” in the Tweetdeck column based on that time stamp.
- Seesmic for Blackberry: After an hour, Seesmic Blackberry skips over to the generic “one hour ago”, “two hours ago” format. Additionally, even if you click on the link, it doesn’t give you the date and time stamp. You’re sort of left to guess.
One of the things I have noticed with UberTwitter is that it does drain my battery more quickly compared to having Seesmic open. I’m going to play around with the amount of tweets that I’m caching and seeing if that helps with the battery power.
What options are most important to you when choosing a tool for your smartphone?